Friday, September 11, 2009
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
2 1/4 russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (I used red potatoes)
1 whole garlic bulb
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) butter
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
EASY STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel potatoes and cut into even-size pieces. Place in a large pot of lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, separate garlic cloves, but do not peel them. Place in a bowl, add olive oil and toss to coat. Place on a baking sheet and roast in oven until softened, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
3) Drain potatoes and return to pot. Mash slightly. Add sour cream and butter. Quickly squeeze pulp from garlic cloves into pot. Add salt and pepper.
4) Mash potatoes until combined and smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cut chives into small pieces. Sprinkle over mashed potatoes in bowl; serve.
For extra flavor, stir some finely chopped green onions into the mashed potato mixture in Step 3.
Serving suggestions: This dish is perfect to serve with roast chicken. Add your favorite vegetable side to the menu and you have a complete meal
Saturday, July 4, 2009
white sheet cake:
makes one 12x18 sheet cake
1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp, plus more for baking sheet
3 cups cake flour ( not self-rising), plus more for baking sheet
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups sugar (Seperate 1/4 cup)
½ tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
8 egg whites
1)Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 12-by-18-by-1-inch rimmed baking sheet, tapping out any excess flour; set aside
2)In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside
3)In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour; beat until just combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; set aside
4)In the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on low speed until foamy. With mixer running, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar; beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 4 minutes. Do not overbeat. Gently fold a third of the egg-white mixture into the butter-flour mixture until combined. Gently fold in remaining egg-white mixture
5)Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet and smooth batter evenly with a spatula or back of a spoon. Transfer to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes. Invert cake onto rack, then reinvert and let cool completely
Cream cheese frosting
1 ½ lbs (3 cups, 6 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
2 lbs cream cheese, room temp (4, 8oz pkg)
1 lb confectioners’ sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla
Place butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high until fluffy. Reduce speed; add confectioners' sugar and vanilla, beat until well combined
Trim any rough edges from cakes using a serrated knife. Place four strips of parchment paper around the perimeter of a serving platter. Place first layer, bottom side up, on serving platter. Using an offset spatula, spread cake with 2 1/2 cups frosting. Top with remaining layer, bottom side up. Spread entire cake with 5 1/2 cups frosting. Place remaining frosting in a large pastry bag fitted with a star tip (such as Ateco #35). Remove parchment paper strips
2)Using the tip of a toothpick, outline the shape of a flag on the cake. Fill the upper left-hand corner with a single layer of blueberries. Place one row of raspberries across upper edge of cake to form first red stripe. Pipe one row of stars just below raspberries to form first white stripe. Repeat process with remaining raspberries and frosting until you have 7 red and 6 white stripes
****I also make this in 2 spring form round pans and decorate with fruit and mint on the top....I have also made this in a wedding cake. You can do so much with this cake. It is the best ever!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- Powdered sugar
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- 1 tub (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
- HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolate, HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Chocolates, HERSHEY'S MINIATURES Chocolate Bars
- Blueberries, raspberries, halved strawberries
- 1 TWIZZLERS Strawberry Twists
1. Heat oven to 375 F. Line 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan with foil; generously grease foil.
2. Beat egg whites in large bowl until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
3. Beat egg yolks and vanilla in small bowl on high speed of mixer for about 3 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar; continue beating 2 minutes. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to egg yolk mixture alternately with water on low speed, beating just until batter is smooth.
4. Fold chocolate mixture gradually into egg whites; spread evenly in prepared pan.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan;invert on towel sprinkled with powdered sugr. Carefully remove foil. Immediately roll cake in towel, starting from narrow end; place on wire rack to cool.
6. Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread with pie filling and 1-1/2 cups whipped topping; reroll cake. Frost cake with remaining whipped topping. Place candies and fruit on frosted cake so that they form stripes around the cake. Add strawberry twist for "wick". Refrigerate until serving time. Serves 8 to 10.
FROM: My Costco Angel: Susan Dec 2009
3 cups Chocolate Chips (1-1/2 C Semi Sweet and 1-1/2 C Milk Chocolate)
1 10 oz Pkg of miniature marshmallows
Optional: 2 cups chopped nuts
*Place in LARGE bowl and set aside
*Butter a 13x9 pan for thick fudge, baking tray for thin fudge
In MED size sauce pan put
1 cup Butter (2) sticks
4 ½ cups Sugar
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz)
Heat butter, sugar & milk to a rolling boil
Boil 6 minutes
Remove from heat
ADD: 1 Tbls. Vanilla to hot ingredients (careful it will bubble up)
Immediately pour HOT mix into LARGE bowl ingredients.
Stir: until it starts to get thick.
Pour into greased pan.
Cool in fridge for (2) hrs
(I chill overnight)
Cut into squares.
By: Colleen Santos
| time: 25 minutes Total : 2:35 min |
cup granulated sugar
|1/2||cup packed brown sugar|
|1/2||cup peanut butter|
|1/4||cup butter or margarine, softened|
|1 1/4||cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour|
|3/4||teaspoon baking soda|
|1/2||teaspoon baking powder|
- Mix sugars, peanut butter, shortening, butter and egg in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork dipped into sugar.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.
- Below use with that recipe
BY: Betty Crocker
PEANUT BUTTER REINDEER COOKIES
Prep: 50 minutes Total: 50 minutes Makes :2 dozen
|1||pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® peanut butter cookie mix|
|3||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|2||tablespoons granulated sugar|
|72||semisweet chocolate chips (about 3 tablespoons)|
|12||star-shaped Christmas pretzels or pretzel sticks|
- Heat oven to 375°F (350°F for dark or nonstick cookie sheet). In medium bowl, mix cookies as directed on package, using oil, water and egg.
- Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. On ungreased cookie sheet, place balls 2 inches apart. Dip bottom of drinking glass in sugar; press each ball until about 1/2 inch thick.
- Pinch bottom edge of each cookie to form a longer point. At point of each cookie, place 1 chocolate chip for nose; press down slightly. Place 2 chocolate chips on each cookie for eyes; press down slightly. With small sharp knife, cut star points from Christmas pretzels to form 48 small V-shaped pretzels (if using pretzel sticks, cut into quarters). Press 2 pretzel pieces into top of each cookie for antlers.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
BUTTER COOKIE SNOWMEN
12 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Blue and orange paste food coloring
- HERSHEY’®S Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- milk and vanilla; mix well. Gradually add flour. Remove 2/3 cup
- dough to a small bowl; tint blue. Repeat with 1 tablespoon of dough
- and orange food coloring; set aside.
- For snowmen, shape white dough into 12 balls, 1-1/4 in. each; 12
- balls, about 1/2 in. each; and 12 balls, about 1/8 in. each. For
- bodies, place large balls on two ungreased baking sheets; flatten to
- 3/8-in. thickness. Place 1/2-in. balls above bodies for heads;
- Shape half of blue dough into 12 triangles. Place triangles above
- heads for hats; attach 1/8-in. white balls for tassels. Shape orange
- dough into noses; place on heads. Divide the remaining blue dough
- into 12 pieces; shape into scarves and position on snowmen. Add
- chocolate chip eyes and buttons. Bake at 325° for 13-16 minutes
- or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before carefully removing to wire rack
- Yields 1 dozen
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Sunday, January 11, 2009
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
2 lb top sirloin, slicked 1/4" thick
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 medium heads broccoli
2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
1)In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, lemon juice, cornstarch, dark brown sugar, garlic and pepper.
2) Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add beef and stir-fry until almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer beef to a plate and cover to keep warm
3) Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add onions, and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Cut broccoli into florets (should yield about 4 cups) and add to skillet with1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
4)Return beef to skillet with soy sauce mixture; add ginger. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Serve hot with rice.
By: Kirsten W. (Great American Recipes)
6 oz. cream cheese
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp. soy sauce, lite
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 c. seafood shreds (imitation crab meat)
Pkg. won ton wrappers, sm. squares
4 -6 Chicken breast, sliced
1/2 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp garlic salt
Put chicken in a shallow baking dish. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, turn chicken over and bake for an additional 30 minutes. try 15 minutes first then go up from there...
use you fave meat
2 tsp ginger
1/2 cups brown sugar (1/4 cup honey)
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vinegar apple cider
Marinate in your fave meat over night or at least 2-3 hours . grill or put in skillet and cook until done.
By: Stacie R